Friday, August 27, 2010

Interrupted Traditions

Traditions are inherited patterns of thought or action, but what happens when that inheritance is rejected? When the tradition is interrupted?  When all those things our great-great grandmothers would have taught us have been thrown aside for a more modern approach?  Should we even bother with all of those things deemed “old-fashioned”?  Or must we always be moving forward and looking for the next best thing?

I always thought of myself as fairly traditional in certain aspects, but much more modern in other ways, but I find the older I get, the more I discover that the modern ways aren’t necessarily better.  In fact, I’ve also found that many of the things I considered traditional are only one or two generation traditional.  In the past 50 to 100 years we’ve turned away from the traditional lifestyles that people held to for thousands of years.

So here I am, trying my best to get back to that interrupted tradition.  I’m not sure all the things I’ll cover here.  My interests go far and wide and random.  But for now, I mostly want to share what I’m learning through this journey into the traditional. 

No comments: